You might be interested in spiritual direction for a variety of reasons, including:
- to identify and trust your own experiences of God
- to integrate spirituality into your daily life
- to discern and make difficult choices
- to share your hopes, struggles and losses
- to develop a sensitivity for justice and concern for the poor
- to live the essence of your spiritual faith with integrity
The privilege and responsibility of a spiritual companion is to journey with you as you deepen your relationship with God. The journey takes place in the context of confidential one-on-one sessions. The HNJ Pastoral Care office has a list of Spiritual Companions and their qualifications for you to choose from. You and your spiritual director/companion will agree on a convenient location and time for meeting, usually once a month for an hour. Some spiritual directors request a fee, some receive your free-will donation, and others offer their time with no expectation of anything in return. After three or four sessions, you will have the opportunity to evaluate the relationship. Whether your relationship with the spiritual companion continues for many years or for only a short period of time, it is very important to be comfortable with the spiritual companion you choose. What is shared between you is held in confidence.